Saturday, September 21, 2013

What kind of Pumpkin to use for baking?

I did an experiment to see what is the best pumpkin for cooking and baking.  I used:
  1. Cinderella Pumpkin
  2. White Pumpkin [Lumina]
  3. Pie or Sugar Pumpkin
  4. Standard Carving Pumpkin.
Best color goes to Cinderella.
Best taste goes to Pie or Sugar Pumpkin.
Best texture [not runny and grainy] goes to Pie or Sugar Pumpkin.
Best to peel Pie or Sugar Pumpkin.

As you can see I clearly liked the Pie or Sugar Pumpkin best.  These pumpkins are bred to have a higher sugar content and less water.  The next one I would recommend is Cinderella.  It has a beautiful color, was ok to peel [not easy, but not overly difficult], and was slightly on the more runny side.

I didn't even attempt to puree the white pumpkin.  Seed catalogues state that white pumpkins are orange on the inside, while this one was white.  I'm not about to use white pumpkin flesh in baking.

At the Forest we make Pumpkin pie, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin cookies, and Pumpkin Ginger Snaps so we do go through a lot of pumpkin.




Lorissa

No comments:

Post a Comment