Sunday, September 26, 2010

Penner's Lake


On Friday I decided to go and pick some snake gourds for Saturday. My first error was going at 9 pm at night. So I get to the patch and what do I see….water. I see patches of water every where’s. Not a problem as I have rubber boots along. So I get onto the garden and I start walking. The rows are 300 feet long and I get ¼ down the row when I stop and I ask myself how much do I want to pick these snakes. I’m like keep going. I’m sinking mid calf, tripping over vines, and I can’t see a thing. Also there are hills and dips that I have to navigate in the dark. ½ down the row I have to give myself another pep talk, but I’m finding this to be quite the adventure and finding this to be quite funny. I finally found my snakes and I decided wading through a ditch was easier than going through the garden again.

It rained and rained on Thursday. Penner Pumpkins got over 2 ½ inches. The garden is so saturated that the water just sits on top.

Penner Pumpkins had picked 90 % of our pumpkins the previous week, but there was a few left on the field. After seeing the garden Friday I decided those pumpkins had to come off. I thought we might get an ATV trailer full, but not more than that. The best pumpkins had already been picked.

On Saturday, in the evening, John, Shirley, and I went pumpkin picking on Penner’s Lake. We waded through mud and picked and picked. We needed to have a video camera out there because that was hilarious picking pumpkins in the mud. Somebody had asked me Saturday if they could go pick a pumpkin at the patch. I said it’s a little muddy and wet (really it was very wet and very muddy). When the ATV needed to move forward Shirley and I had to push so it wouldn’t get stuck. Shirley and I ended up not doing any face plants in the mud so that was one bonus. We ended up filling two ATV trailers with our pumpkins. I have to say that was a work out: wading through mud up to my calves, lifting a 20 pound pumpkin, and carrying it

through the mud. A new Penner Pumpkins work-out. I’m happy to say that all the pumpkins are picked, now the gourds need to be picked and the squash. Penner Pumpkins will be selling pumpkins Mon-Friday from 11 am to 7 pm, Sat from 11 am to 5 pm, and Sun 1-5 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment