Saturday, April 6, 2013

Vegetables and Jello

I am an avid reader and I like surfing around on the Internet.  The other day I came across this: "In the 1950s, Jell-O tried to sell savoury flavours, including celery, Italian salad, mixed vegetable, and tomato".  Can you imagine someone giving you a tomato jello mold with chunks of tomatoes floating in it?  I think there are better ways of getting someone to eat their vegetables.

The Canada Food Guide recommends eating 7-10 servings of fruits and vegetables.  That sounds like a lot but serving sizes are 1/2 cup of chopped vegetables or fruits, 1 cup of salad, or 1/2 cup of fruit or vegetable juice.  For more information on the Canada Food Guide check out: Canada's Food Guide.

One way of getting enough vegetables is disguising vegetables in food.  An idea is putting spinach in lasagna or making my Sunshine Squash Muffins.  If you search around on the Internet you can find a ton of recipes that show how you can disguise vegetables in various dishes.


Of course eating fresh vegetables from the garden is best.  I love toasted tomato sandwiches and creamy cucumber salad in summer.  In winter, in Manitoba, eating tasteless store bought vegetables is hard and hence disguising them is a good idea.

Getting back to vegetables and jello, I think this idea is just plain weird and from looking at store shelves this idea never took off.  I think Jello should say with fruit flavors.


 Lorissa Penner

No comments:

Post a Comment